Sunday, May 17, 2015

Mindy's Medallion HMQS AdornIt Challenge 2nd Place Winning Quilt




A little over a week ago, I was on my way home from a cruise and heard the news that my AdornIt Challenge quilt had won an award at HMQS in Salt Lake City. Sadly, I was still traveling when the awards ceremony happened, so I had no idea what award my quilt received. But the next day I managed to slip out of my class with Angela Walters for a few minutes to find a 2nd place ribbon on my quilt. Whoo-Hoo! 

The challenge was to use the fabrics made and selected by AdornIt in a quilt of any size. I chose a pattern called Medallion out of Angela Pingel's book, 'A Quilter's Mixology.'

This was my first attempt at curved piecing. My mom gave me a curvemaster foot for Christmas, and that pretty much secured my success! This small quilt was seriously a piece of cake to put together.


I auditioned a couple of designs for the center medallion. I love the design below, but in the end I went with something a little different.


Just a quick pic to show how many tools and templates I used to quilt this quilt.


I had so much fun designing and quilting this center medallion. This is the kind of quilting I'm passionate about!





I wanted to do some micro quilting but knew it wouldn't show up on the busy fabric, so I kept it to the areas on the mint green solid fabric.






The back shows off the quilting so well!


I decided to add a little sparkle with crystals. It's a little hard to capture that sparkle on camera.

This was my first time using crystals on a quilt. It's crazy how much time they take to put on!

I was told by one of the judge's helpers that the judges thought I used too many crystals on the quilt. To each their own, right?!




And here she is hanging at the show!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS