Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Post 46- Disney Frozen Olaf Quilt


Once again I'm behind on my blogging-but at least this time it's for a good cause!

Here's my excuse. 

Every year our elementary school does a fundraiser during Literacy Night. Each class chooses a theme and asks families to donate items following that theme. Then all the donations are put in a basket and each basket is auctioned off during Literacy night through a silent auction. 

We love this fundraiser! It's so much more fun and creative than selling cookie dough! 

My son's class chose the new Disney movie 'Frozen' as their theme. We thought we'd donate a stuffed snowman Olaf to the basket, but we couldn't find one when we went out shopping. 

The next week my son presented a new idea to me. He said his class thought it would be cool to have a 'Frozen' blanket, and he told the class I might make one since I make quilts all the time. 

This was not at all what I wanted to hear, since I was in the midst of a few quilting deadlines already. 

I told my son I just didn't think I'd have time to make another quilt. After a long pause, and with a somewhat downtrodden look on his face, he said 'Well, I gave it my best shot.' 

Ugh!! 

My son has been known to be a bit dramatic at times, and no doubt he was playing that card now, but this honestly tore at my heart. He's had a somewhat rough year at school, so I really wanted to do something special for him. But making a quilt just isn't as simple as buying a toy. I was really battling with whether or not I should commit to this.

In the end, I told him I'd see what I could do.

So, here's what I came up with...

And, of course, my son loved it and he said his class loved it...so it was definitely worth the time I spent making it. :)


And hopefully it will help our school raise some money!

7 comments:

  1. I love this quilt and would love to do somethng similiar for our elementary schools fundraiser. Could you share your pattern, I know this would be a great hit and raise lots and lots of money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't actually have a pattern for this quilt. I just cut the fabric pieces out freehand. I'll work on it though and will post when I have put something together. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Did you put stuffing behind Oolaf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky- I didn't. It's just minky I laid on top of the chevron fabric and stitched down around the edges. If you're making a similar quilt, I'd love to see a picture of it! (send to quiltingtogetherwithmindy@gmail.com). And thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Amazing. I too would love a pattern. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you have a pattern for this one

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute story, and I love the end quilt!! Olaf is my favorite Frozen Character, we have a frozen quilt pattern set, and we did a post about it. www.quiltingfocus.com/2015/03/sisters-forever-quilt-kit-fat-quarter-shop check it out!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS