Friday, July 25, 2014

Post 34- My first 1st place 'Mia's Garden'


The weeks seem to come and go and before I know it it's been two months and I still haven't mentioned something as important as my FIRST 1st place win!

I'm finishing up this quilt...finally!...with a blogpost and linking it to Finish It Up Friday with crazymomquilts.blogspot.com!

I entered the AdornIt Quilt Challenge at HMQS (Home Machine Quilt Show) in Salt Lake City in May. 

I have to confess that despite my hopes of winning, I had convinced myself I wasn't going to win, so I decided not to go to the awards ceremony. I regretted that so much when my awesome friends from the Handi Quilter Education Department (Vicki, Marie, and Cheryl) text me congrats on my win.

Before the quilting began:

This was a pattern on the cover of Quilter's World Spring 2014 edition (designed by Holly Daniels).

Quilting in progress:


I should mention that everything on this quilt was done hand guided with either templates and rulers or free motion quilting with the exception of the round flower motif (pic below). I designed that in Art & Stitch on my computer.


And finished!



Love the back texture too!


When I finally made it to the show I made it a point to introduce myself to Carolee McMullin, the founder of AdornIt. I was able to learn her amazing story of starting both her scrapbooking company and her fabric company, AdornIt, while raising a family. Now her children are grown and help within the company. 

I'm so glad I had the opportunity to meet Carolee. Not only is she inspirational to small business owners, but she is a genuinely kind person! And, like you and I, she is passionate about sharing her creativity with the world!


I also entered the SewBatik Challenge at HMQS and won a Judge's Choice award.








16 comments:

  1. Totally deserved! Congratulations! Your quilt is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!! Beautiful quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The machine quilting on this is absolutely beautiful & artful. I love it! The pattern of the piecing flows into and along beside with the pattern of the machine quilting. I love looking at it~congratulations on your 1st place, well deserved!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! Please share what batting, how many layers of batting and if there is any true trap into vs. faux trap unto used. You did a gorgeous job on this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay! I used 2 layers of batting. Hobbs 80/20 on the bottom and Wool on top. There is no trapunto on this quilt.

      Delete
  5. I am so glad you included a photo of what the quilt top looked like BEFORE you started quilting it. That really conveys the dramatic impact that your custom quilting had on the design. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilting is just so wonderful. I would love one day to have these skills or maybe save up and get you or someone like you to make dreams come true.

    Larain
    Downunder

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow! The quilting on this beautiful quilt is simply stunning. No wonder you won first prize!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS