Sunday, December 14, 2014

Post 16- Moda Modern Building Blocks



Well, I really dropped the ball on my '20 quilt posts in 20 days' goal! 

As we start thinking about New Year's resolutions, we would all do well to remember to set REALISTIC goals for ourselves.

A blog post everyday for 20 days is very unrealistic for me...especially during the holidays! What was a I thinking?
Oh well! I guess we live and learn!

This quilt is part of the reason I couldn't keep up to date on my blog goals.

This amazing quilt was pieced by Brittany from Quilter's Haven. 
She truly did an amazing job with the piecing.
I still struggle with piecing sometimes, so when I see those perfectly matching points on a client's quilt, I am just in reverent awe.


This quilt caught me off guard when I started loading it onto the longarm frame. I had seen pictures of this quilt, because it was such a hit at Spring Market. But, for some reason, the pictures really don't show just how big it actually is!

So, what I thought would be a fairly easy 3-day custom quilt job ended up stretching into a two-and-a-half week custom quilt job.

I am thrilled with how it turned out, but it was a challenging quilt to machine quilt, in that I had to use rulers 90% of the time, (although I did free-motion quilting on a little bit of the quilt) and had to come up with a new design for every block.

Well, enough chit-chat. I took too many pictures, so get ready for picture overload with this one!






A little sneak peak of the many tools I used to quilt this one.











And, of course, pictures of the quilt back!



























10 comments:

  1. wow - you. are. the. queen. of machine quilting! If I could only be a fraction as great as you are......Thank you for this stunning post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy-o,
      Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm so glad you enjoyed my post! And, as you can see, I don't get many comments, so it's sooo nice when someone does comment. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. WOW! Seriously AMAZING! I LOVE what you did! :) I'm working on the quilt right now and it is going to be the first project I load onto a longarm so thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! So happy I could provide some inspiration for you! :) I'm sure your Modern Building Block quilt will be just as amazing!

      Delete
  3. Love the use of Solids, stunning, cheerful. Would you share the recipe for what Solid Collection you used? I want to go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to share what solid fabric was used in this quilt, but it was actually made by one of the ladies at my local quilt shop. Since I shop there quite often, I think I can safely say that there were multiple fabric brands used in this quilt. If you'd like more details, you can contact Quilter's Haven in Bountiful, Utah. Happy shopping and quilting!

      Delete
    2. Likely
      Bella solids or kona solids. If you google you can find the PDF for the colors used in the original.

      Delete
  4. Stunning....really stunning. You are amazing. I pieced this quilt using reproduction fabrics, though I like how clean the solids look. The solids also allow your quilting to shine. Wow...just wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm getting ready to work on this quilt
    Top. Love the detail of your quoting!!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS